6 Steps to a Winning QoS Deployment
Follow this 6-step workflow to guide your QoS deployments:
- Planning and buy-in - Understand the current and near future needs of your organization as a whole. Choose an appropriate QoS model and then get departmental buy-in before beginning.
- Investigation - Discover and document current and future network architecture.
- Design - Select a QoS model(s) for the traffic classes and define QoS policies for headquarters and campus LANs, WANs and branch offices, and VPNs.
- Proof of Concept (POC) - Test QoS policies and settings first in a non-production environment using real and synthetic traffic to generate controlled conditions.
- Iterative deployment cycle - Roll out QoS policies in a phased approach, either by sections of the network or by QoS functions. Confirm changes at each iteration for at least 24 hours before continuing to the next step.
- Ongoing monitoring and analysis - Perform ongoing monitoring and adjust the policies not just for average daily usage but also for monthly, quarterly, and yearly business cycles.